Banca Carige, Banca del Monte di Lucca and Banca Cesare Ponti have adopted the new provisions introduced by IVASS Regulation no. 46 of 3 May 2016, which amends ISVAP Regulation no. 24 of 19 May 2008 on the complaints handling procedure for insurance product intermediaries (which came into force on 27 November 2016).
Complaints are handled according to the principles of fairness, rationality and proportionality, and a different system for handling insurance complaints is defined for each category of intermediary.
This measure transfers responsibility for insurance claims from insurance companies to product brokers who have to deal directly with complaints relating to the behaviour of their employees and collaborators - therefore, relating to the distribution phase of the insurance product - in order to achieve maximum consumer protection during the complaint handling phase.
Who can contact IVASS
WHEREAS, a complaint to the bank regarding insurance mediation may be made by the policyholder, the insured, the beneficiary of an insurance contract, the injured party and consumer associations, these same parties may contact IVASS if they have not received a reply within 45 days or if they are not satisfied with the reply given.
Scope of application of the IVASS
IVASS does not process requests for data, information and advice, regulatory questions or general requests that do not contain detailed information on the alleged improper conduct of the company, or IVASS:
- does not have the power to resolve disputes, in particular, in relation to the attribution of responsibility and the quantification of the sums disbursed by the company
- may not intervene with its own decision on the merits of contractual relations between undertakings and insured persons
- normally does not deal with complaints on matters for which the Judicial Authority has already been seised
- does not disclose the results of any investigations conducted on undertakings in the exercise of their supervisory powers
- does not take into consideration reports on the same case subsequent to the first one, unless substantial new developments occur
How to contact IVASS
You can contact IVASS by submitting a detailed complaint by pec, fax or postal mail and any useful information - including specific facsimiles of forms to be used - can be found on the institute's website.
For more information, please visit www.ivass.it